Why Donate to a Public Bank?
Your donated cord blood can help patients in need of a life-saving transplant. Cord blood provides a rich source of stem cells that would otherwise be thrown away as medical waste.
- There is NO COST to donate.
- There is NO PAIN to you or your baby at the time of donation.
- Your identity is kept CONFIDENTIAL and stored securely within our facility.
95% of all cord blood is discarded as waste.
You only have ONE chance to donate your cord blood and there is NO COST to donate.
Cord blood collection is painless and done within 10 minutes of giving birth.
You have a lot to think about during your pregnancy. Don't wait to make the important decision to donate your cord blood!
A Cord Blood Donation Guide will be included in your 28-36 week prenatal packet. Although your OB Provider may not have time to speak with you about cord blood donation, you can call Upstate CBB at 315-492-2600. Our staff is happy to answer any questions you may have about cord blood donation and assist you with the forms that need to be completed prior to delivery.
Donating Cord Blood at Upstate CBB is as Easy as 1, 2, 3.......
- Complete the forms included in the Cord Blood Donation Guide.
- Mail your completed forms to Upstate CBB using the postage paid envelope.
- When you arrive for delivery at one of our participating hospitals, let the staff know that you will be donating your cord blood.
Reasons You Should Choose to Donate to Upstate CBB
- Our #1 priority is to use cord blood donations for patients in need of life-saving transplants.
- We are centrally located in Upstate NY and participate with Syracuse area hospitals.
- Our selectively recruited staff has a combined 200 years of experience in laboratory science, cellular biology, cord blood applications and clinical practice.
- Our state-of-the-art equipment utilizes a closed bag system that virtually eliminates all possible contamination of the final cord blood unit.
- We can securely store over 14,500 public cord blood units with room for expansion as our cord blood donation program grows.